Wednesday 7 March 2012

Justin Individual Post 2

What literary aspect is most interesting to you so far (chapters 1-9). You may want to examine Farmer's setting, characterization, them development, use of metaphor, figurative language in general, etc. Don't forget to use specific examples and quotations from the novel to support your thinking.


The most interesting literary aspect that appeals to me so far is her characterization. I'm very surprised that Farmer has introduced many characters in the first couple of chapters. In chapter one, she established Eduardo and Lisa who so far are both ending up as flat characters. In chapter two, she established Matt (protagonist), Celia, Señor MacGregor, and Steven and Emilia. By the end of chapter 9, they have now introduced Tam Lin, El Patron, Rosa, Tom, Willium, Mr. Alacran, Maria, Teacher, and Felicia. My question to her would be, why so many characters? Aren't you afraid that everybody is going to get confused with the characters? I sure did. At the beginning, trying to keep up with the characters was quite difficult. I found myself looking at the character list at the beginning of the book many times.


I also wonder why the first chapter was there. Why didn't you put the section about the cells in the Prologue. This just puts the book in an awkward position because now, you have created 2 characters to be never talked about again in the book. I also find it interesting that Farmer would decide to introduce the protagonist (Matt) in the second chapter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment